Sunday, March 22, 2015

Our friend Sundown

This weekend has been very special for our ward family.  A wonderful investigator and friend, Sundown Hittu and her son Ben were baptized last night.  This has been a 6-month+ journey for Sundown, and she has been an inspiration to our whole ward as she has overcome addictions, discouragement, trials and fear.  We have all grown from her faith, and we are all so happy for her!!!


Bishop Washburn, Sundown and Ben Hittu, Sister Taylor and Sister Lazarotto

Elder Haroldsen with Sundown and Ben

When Jason and I showed up at the baptism (at President and Sister Bull's home in their pool--still no stake center here in Ridgecrest to use a regular font), our bishop Ephraim Washburn and his wife Kimm talked with me for a few minutes.  He said that I'd been very helpful to Sundown when I'd shared my testimony of repentance with her, that there were so many like me who were sharing this day and her joy with her.  

I wanted to write about that particular night with Sundown because it illustrates one way the Holy Ghost works and how prayers can be answered in simple ways.

On Wednesday, March 11th, I had the random idea to text a few friends and see if they wanted to ride together to the Relief Society dinner that night.  Sundown was the only friend able to go that night, and I was happy to pick her up.  (Now, I rarely offer rides to RS night--I like making quick getaways, haha!)  The activity was wonderful and we all enjoyed the sisterhood and love that was felt there!  As I pulled into Sundown's apartment complex afterwards, we talked in the car for a bit, and Sundown talked about the process of the baptismal interviews she had to do and how painfully embarrassing it was for her.  She was so sad and upset.  I paused a moment, feeling impressed to share some personal experiences but feeling awkward about it, but I took the plunge and shared one of my own experiences with repentance, how I had felt those same feelings, in the beginning.  But I also said that I was grateful for full, true repentance because ultimately that embarrassment gave way to deep gratitude to the Savior for His Atonement and an understanding that it was real, that it was for me, and that Christ knew me and loved me.  

It was a quiet, special moment that I will never forget.  How grateful I was to find out later that those few minutes, talking in my van at night in the parking lot, helped Sundown jump those last few hurdles.  I hope she knows how much she is loved and admired and cherished!

1 comment:

momsheen said...

Verity, you strengthen so many others, including ourselves, with your sweet testimonies.